Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Baby Mason Kyle Tanner

Many of you don't know, but we have a new little member in our home! These past few days have been kind of hectic! Our lives changed so drastically but the whole experience has been amazing and perfect! Kyle and I wouldn't change anything about how we first met Mason or the journey that lead us to meeting him. Baby Mason was born on Friday, March 22nd in the Park City hospital. I thought that I would sit down while he's sleeping and quickly write his birth story, so here it is! ENJOY!

Birth Story:

On Friday, March 22nd I woke up to what I thought was cramps at 7:45 a.m. They were stronger than cramps and I had never had a contraction before, but they definitely had to be contractions because they hurt so badly! They were consistently coming every 10-15 minutes. At first it felt like a menstrual cramp, but each time a contraction happened they got stronger and more painful. By noon the pain was getting so bad that we decided to head to the hospital and see if I was deep enough into labor that we could be admitted. With this being my first pregnancy, we thought that the chance of being sent home was higher than the chance of being admitted to the hospital, especially because my due date was a few days away and most babies go past their due dates, so we didn’t really have our hopes high when we got to the hospital. When we arrived I was dilated to a 2 almost a 3 and I was 90% effaced. The nurse told us that I had to be dilated to at least a 4 in order to be in active labor where they could start an IV and put an epidural in. They gave us an option to walk around for an hour and see if anything changes or to head home and come back later. So we decided to walk. I walked up and down 3 flights of stairs for an hour. After an hour we headed back into our room to get checked again, and were praying that I had dilated enough to be admitted because I couldn’t take the pain much longer. To our surprise I had dilated to a 4 and I was completely effaced! Both Kyle and I were excited but in shock at the same time because it finally hit us that we were not leaving this hospital without the baby in our arms! Oh dear!!

Things from that moment on went really quickly. I got hooked up to an IV around 2 p.m. and they were pumping my body full of fluids. Each time I had a contraction; it hurt so bad it was almost unbearable so by 3 p.m. they were able to give me an epidural. I was very nervous to get the epidural because of what people have told me and how painful they are when the needle is going in and stuff. But I figured that nothing could be worse than the contraction pains and to be honest the epidural didn’t hurt that bad. By about 4 p.m. my doctor, Dr. Falk, came in to break my water. As she was breaking my water she asked me if we knew for sure that the baby’s head was down or not. We told her that we were almost positive that his head was down. She left the room and came back with an ultrasound machine and told me that she wanted to make sure that his head was down. After about 2 seconds of her looking at the ultrasound she told us that she had bad news. The baby had flipped last minute and now he was bum down and we had no other choice but to have a C-section because my water was already broken and he wouldn’t be able to flip. That was one of the hardest things I have ever been told! I had no choice, I couldn’t even try to deliver normal… that was hard but it was best for the baby so we went with it! She told us that we are going to be seeing this baby sooner than we thought, “like within the next 30 minutes” is what she said. We were shocked! 3 hours ago we were praying that I would be dilated enough to be at least admitted and now we are preparing for a C-section and eventually meet our little man. I got numbed up to my throat from the epidural medication and Kyle was putting on a white, what looked like a marshmallow, suit and cap for his head…. HERE WE GO!! Kyle waited in the hospital room until I was situated in the operating room and then they brought him in by my side. I was very very nervous and it was very comforting having Kyle by my side. There was a lot going on around us. There were nurses and doctors everywhere! I remember having my whole body shaking uncontrollably, not only because that’s a side-effect of the medication, but also because the room was cold. I didn’t realize they had even started the surgery until Dr. Falk said that he’s almost out! And then we heard it….. His little innocent cry.

The nurse brought him around the curtain so that we could see him for the first time. He was absolutely perfect!! He was born on March 22nd at 5:52 p.m., weighed 7 pounds 8 ounces and was 21 inches long. The first question I asked Kyle was, “Does he have hair?” which to our surprise he did have a little. They cleaned him up and gave him to Kyle while they were finishing up with the surgery. We then were brought to our hospital room to recover and start our new little family together. We stayed at the hospital from Friday to Monday and took advantage of all the help we could get from the nurses. Welcome to the world Mason Tanner! We have waited our entire lives to meet you! We love you so much!

Getting ready to have a C-section

Kyle's Marshmallow Suit

First Family Photo

Dad holding Mason

Mason Kyle Tanner

These are the flowers my parents brought to the hospital
These are the flowers that Brittin made for me!

Sweet little thing!

At home sleeping in his bassinet 


  1. Congrats Ashley and Kyle!! Every baby comes with a great birth story, thanks for sharing yours. Mason is beautiful/handsome and perfect! :^) Can't wait to meet him sometime. Rest and take care of yourself and heal!

  2. Congratulations you guys! I am loving these pictures! Can't wait to see more ;) Glad things are going well. Love you

  3. No way! A c-section?! That's what i had to have done too! We'll have to compare notes...
    p.s. You look radiant without makeup. You should sport that look more often!

  4. Congrats! He is such a little cutie!!