Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Homemade Goodness


Since Kyle and I have gotten married, we have loved the idea of making a lot of the things that we use in our every day life in our own home. Like dish soap, lotion, fabric softener, smoothies, and detergent. There are so many things that I want to make and be able to say "Ya I make my own baby wipes..." but so far the things that we have made.... well let's just say it's harder than it looks. Our first thing that we tried was making homemade body wash. I think the final product was something like watered down melted soap. I still use it but honestly I'd rather use a bar of soap! The second thing that we attempted to make was detergent for the laundry. It surprisingly turned out really good! I think it smells great as well! It was super easy to make and the recipe that we followed said that it would last for almost 2 years until we run out. So I'm excited about not having to buy as much detergent.

Every morning Kyle and I make a smoothie from our Vitamix. It is AMAZING! If you have never had a smoothie made from a Vitamix you definitely need to try it. Kyle says it's like having a Jamba Juice every morning for breakfast! The way that we make it is super healthy. We put in about 2 cups of pure water, 2 spoonfuls of flax seeds, 2 big handfuls of fresh organic spinach, and lots of fruit. Kyle and I love making the smoothie every day! The best part that comes from drinking about 40 ounces of smoothie, each of us, every day is the energy that we get! We feel amazing and honestly it has been quite a while since we've had some sort of cold or sickness in the Tanner's home :)

The last thing that we made was lotion. Ok so we're following a recipe, I have high hopes on this one because I would love to be able to just make my own lotion every time I ran out. I melted things, refrigerated things, whipped the final product... and what do ya know... it worked! The final product looked like soft whipped lotion! I was so excited! Kyle and I poured the lotion into glass jars and put them in the bathroom. Then the real test came... I got out of the shower the next day and used my freshly made lotion. I don't know what happened but my smooth, creamy lotion somehow turned into this moose type stuff. It was so oily!! I honestly felt like I jumped into a pool of oil! The good thing is, is that the lotion will help stretch marks go away and help my skin feel healthy. But ya I probably won't use this lotion until I'm prego because I don't really have any stretch marks to put the lotion on. So for the time being I will continue to use my awesome sister-in-laws lotion! It is amazing stuff!!! If you haven't heard of her products you need to check her out! Her name is Christine Tanner and the product name is "Great". She makes everything from lotion, to chap stick, to this desitin stuff for babies! The price is good as well!





Attempting to make lotion.
Melting coconut oil and shea butter






Letting my awesome lotion cool in the fridge



Final product of my homemade lotion





Yeah can't wait to use it..... When I'm prego...
So it'll be sitting in my bathroom for quite some time.



Detergent... AWESOME stuff!!!




Smells way good too!



Green smoothie... Looks gross, tastes so dang good




The Best blender on earth!



Green smoothie! So good



The best lotion! And they all smell way good!
The best part is, is that these are homemade!



Takes away any redness in your face! Love it!









No comments:

Post a Comment